Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Bagasbas, Daet, Camarines Norte

Surfing in Bagasbas



Just like mountain climbing, I've never thought of trying surfing when I was a li’l younger. I have never been that sporty type of girl. I didn't play volleyball or badminton or any kind of sports during my teenage years. I was more interested in arts and dancing and singing (ehem). But as I mature and explore the world, I came to realize that I’m missing a lot. So I've tried different kinds. And trying something new once in a while can give you a different kind of excitement. You’ll discover a different YOU.

With my first successful ride in the surf board in La Union, I knew that it will not be the last time I’ll be doing it. I’m not really sure if it’s because I love the beach that much that’s why I’m enjoying water sports like surfing but no matter what the reason is, I love doing it though I might fall or stumble many times.




This will be a quick guide for people who, maybe just like me, loves surfing and enjoy beach bumming, or would just like to make this as a side trip during a Bicol escapade, or simply for people who are searching for a perfect spot for this sport.

Where is Bagasbas? It is located in Daet, Camarines Norte, in the Bicol Region

Surfing Season: throughout the year but waves are best during ber months upto January

Surf Board Rental: 200php per hour
Surf Lesson: 200php per hour


BP Marion in Bagasbas


How to go there?

Via Bus:  There are daily trips in major buslines (like Philtranco, Amihan, Superlines & DLTB) from Cubao or Pasay going to Daet. You may want to check online for schedules of whichever busline you prefer. Travel time is approximately 8-10 hours. Fare usually costs 500-600php for an air-conditioned bus.

Via Plane: The closest airport would be Naga City in Camarines Sur. From Naga, take a van going to Daet for 150php and travel time is approximately two hours. Get off at Daet town proper then ride a tricycle going to Bagasbas beach.







Where to stay and eat? Just in front of the beach, there are numerous lodging houses, hotels, restaurants and carinderias. Just ask around. Locals are friendly and accommodating. I don’t have any recommendation at this time for I stayed in a friend’s house in Daet (the cheapest way. hehe).


The gray sand and the calm waves





The Beach

Bagasbas beach has long fine gray sand and is known to be a surfing and kite boarding spot in the country. One outstanding characteristic of the beach is its cleanliness though it’s a public beach and is FREE for all. I went here around 7 in the morning and many people were already strolling around. Aside from swimming and surfing, jogging is also a usual activity here.Roy, a friend of Maecel (the friend I have mentioned where I stayed) who is also from Daet accompanied me that morning. He also wanted to try surfing but since he had to go to work, after finding a surfing instructor, he left. And so I met Kuya Joemel, and the other instructors who do this as a part-time. You can rent a surf board and/or find surfing instructors just in front of the beach.


prep :)

Oh yeah!


Get stoked – Ride the waves!

You might ask why I would still pay for a surfing lesson if I have done this for the 4th time. Well, since it’s not a daily or usual thing, it would be so hard to remember all those do’s and don’ts. And every instructor has their own styles and tips, so I figured out it’s the best thing to do as a beginner. And I also needed someone to hold/keep my things and my precious camera (my Jacob :P) while I’m enjoying the waves. It was not the instructor who carried my things but someone he knew that can be trusted. Another question you might ask, can I surf even though I can’t swim? Oh yes you can. Though it’s a big advantage if you are swimmer, I have a friend who was able to surf in a not-so-deep area of La Union beach. If you can swim, you’ll enjoy the bigger and longer waves for you can get to the deeper area. And I recommend La Union, Baler and Bagasbas for beginners since the waves there are not too harsh and bumpy compared to one in Real where a friend of mine who’s a first timer got injured. Not too serious though. Wanna learn how to surf? Oh dear! You can search online the definitions and instructions all you want BUT you have to go to the beach, rent that surf board, pay for the lesson and ride that wave. Enjoy! 


Ang mga astig na surfer at instructors

with Kuya Joemel, my surfing instructor

You may also want to check my Calaguas Adventure here.

This is my 3rd day in Bicol. Watch out for the other adventures in Legazpi and Sorsogon.
Happy traveling! 
Post a Comment