Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Mt. Tagapo


Talim Island, Laguna de Bay
Major jump-off: Brgy. Janosa (Talim Island) Binangonan, Rizal
LLA 14.32° N 121.23° E, 438 MASL
Days required / Hours to summit: 1 day / 2 hours
Specs: Minor climb, Difficulty 2/9, Trail class 1-2
(Source: http://www.pinoymountaineer.com/2007/08/mt-tagapo-438.html)

The Backpackers:
Ivan Laurence Ignacio
Heinz Lopez Alvarez, Jr.


Mt. Tagapo: A ‘Maiden’s Breasts’
By: Heinz Lopez Alvarez, Jr.

Perhaps what makes Mt. Tagapo a very interesting mountain to limb is the fact that the Philippine National Hero, Dr. Jose P. Rizal , actually mentioned it in his famous El Filibusterismo.

The farthest mountain you see is Mt. Tagapo.
 


“The steamer was just entering the lake and the view was really magnificent," Jose Rizal wrote in the opening chapters of El Filibusterismo. “The beautiful lake stretched out before them like an immense mirror where Heaven might look at itself. To the right, a series of bays made graceful curves in the low shore; to the left, the island of Talim and the Susong Dalaga, the ‘Maiden’s Breasts’, with the soft undulations which have given it its name." (Source: http://www.gmanews.tv/story/176096/exploring-talim-island-the-mole-in-the-waters-of-laguna-de-bay/_/3/)

Poster by Ivan Ignacio
**********
ITINERARY

DAY ONE – January 15

11:00 AM - Assembly Cubao
11:30 AM - ETD Cubao
1:30 PM - ETA Binangonan Port
2:30 PM - ETA Brgy. Janosa, Talim Island
3:00 PM - Start Trek
5:00 PM - ETA Campsite
7:00 PM - Dinner. Socials.
12:00 AM - Lights Out

DAY TWO – January 16

6:00 AM - Sunrise viewing
7:00 AM - Assault to Summit
7:30 AM - Summit. Marvel at the view. Photo ops
8:30 AM - Go back to campsite
9:00 AM - Quick Brunch
10:00 AM - Start Descent
11:30 PM - Back at Brgy. Janosa
2:00 PM - ETA Binangonan Port
3:00 PM - Merienda at Jollibee
4:00 PM - Departure
6:00 PM - ETA Cubao

**********
Taken from the peak.




A Uniquely Unforgettable Climb
By Heinz Lopez Alvarez Jr on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 10:25pm

My first climb was with the Big Four Plus at the majestic Mt. Pico de Loro in Ternate Cavite; and, my second was with Accenture's Team Ariel at the beautiful Mt. Gulugod Baboy in Mabini, Batangas. This was a third timer- the climb to Mt. Tagapo in Janosa, Binangonan, Rizal.

All the climbs that I had and those next climbs that I would have will all be unforgettable. But my third will always be the UNIQUELY UNFORGETTABLE climb i had. It was my...

First climb for 2011
I had two the previous year- Mt. Pico de Loro and Mt. Gulugod Baboy. I was too excited to have this first climb for 2011. I even bought my own tent. I was too serious not to have a zero climb for the first month of this new year. My goal is to have one climb a month.

Reaching Mt. Tagapo means traveling by motorboat from Binangonan Municipality Proper to the famous Talim Island.

Transition climb
This climb was held right after my resignation from Accenture and right before my transfer to IBM. It would be nice if I would be able to breath fresh air and have a bit of exercise prior re-starting my career engine with IBM, I thought.

It was a minor climb, manageable for first timers.

First time to climb with a friend's friends
It was Ivan who organized this climb. He was the same person who brought the Big Four Plus to Mt. Pico de Loro where our interest to mountain adventure started. (Thanks Parekoy!  ) I had a second thought of joining this Mt. Tagapo Climb. I did not want to feel OP. The only person I knew were Ivan and his girlfriend Angel. But then I realized, why not treat it as a friendship climb (?) So, I said "Ok, i'll join."

Ivan's friends.
No regret. I enjoyed it! And I met awesome people and am hoping to see them again in the next summits.


Mon- super kulit lalo na kapag umiinom at nakainom, makwento, palakaibigan, mahilig din sa One More Chance (mag bestfriend nga kayo ni Ivan)
Mau- ang may ari ng kutsilyo na nakahiwa sa daliri ko, ang nag- birthday shot pero sumuka ng sumuka kinabukasan, mabait, todo guide sa mga girls during the ascend and descend
Will- Thanks sa first aid, Sir Will!

Mau, Sir Will, and Mon.


Sunshine- sweet, napaka-maalalalahanin, nakaalalay saken pagkatapos kong magkahiwa sa daliri (Thanks Shine! )
Louie- ang sobrang bait na katipan ni Shine, palakaibigan, may hemophobia nga lang

Shine and Louie.

Ghei- isa sa mga CHECK (alamin kay Ivan and definition ng CHECK), makulit sa kwentuhan, masayang kasama, malambing ( Thanks sa panyo na kelangang sirain para sa sugat ko!  )
Tela- ang paborito kong pangalan sa climb, sarap i-pronounce 'tel-luh ' , sweet girl, masipag magligpit ng kalat, napakasimple pero may impact ( Tinapay lang Tela, ok na... ;) )
Chester- ang singer sa climb, lageng cool, malakas ang loob

Tela, Chester and Ghei.


Given:
Ivan- the climb organizer, napaka responsable at mahusay na lider (sigurado ako di lang sa pag-akyat ng bundok), ang napaka mapagmahal sa katipan nyang si Angel, ang kuya ng team sa bundok ( Parekoy, salamat sa pagpapakilala saken sa iyong mga kaibigan at sa pag-alalay sa ospital!  )
Angel- ang magandang dalagang pilipina, sobrang mapagmahal at maaruga sa kanyang katipan na si Ivan, tunay na kaibigan ( Salamat sa supportang moral simula nang masugatan lalo na sa ospital!  )

Sweethearts Angel and Ivan.
First mountain socials
Yes. It was my first Mountain Socials. I just  slept during the first and second climb's mountain socials. We had 5 bottles of The Bar, different flavors. I did a voluntary exit after the second bottle though. But I enjoyed it a lot because everybody was happy. It was a great fun!

Best buddies Mon, Mau, and Ivan.
Ivan, Heinz (Yeah right, im not a lord of alcohol... hahaha!) and Ghie.
Sweethearts Louie and Shine. Bottoms up, huh!

First time to have a serious cut
I saw Mau trying to lock close his knife. Feeling "the great", I volunteered and took the knife from him and tried to lock it. I did it, a bit, and noticed what appeared at first was a small cut but was actually a serious cut when i looked at it closer. Blood was dripping fast. Too bad the team did not have a first aid kit. Good thing Ghei donated her hanky. Mon tore it off, made a gauze out of it, and tied it on my pinkie while I was praying that my finger would still be intact. Then Ivan gave it a cold compress (good thing Parekoy thought about bringing some ice up) long enough to minimize the pain while Angel and Ghei were constantly giving moral support.

(I cant show a pic of my cut definitely. Better take a look at this pic. It was taken early in the morning of our second day in Mt. Tagapo's shoulder. See that trail going up? That's the path to the peak.



The group at the summit! Yahoo!


In Mt. Tagapo (?) better wear long-sleeved for protection. Sharp cogon leaves along the trail.


First time to get hospitalized on a post-climb
The accident happened at around 2 AM up in the mountain. We descended. Had lunch in Brgy. Janosa. Rode the boat and finally reached Binangonan at 4-ish PM. That was 14 hours of ignoring the pain until I had it stitched by a doctor in Binangonan Municipal Hospital. The pre-stitching procedure particularly when the anesthesia was being injected right at my pinkie's cut was extremely painful. Good thing Angel and Ivan were there for support.

The hospital i wont forget for the rest of my life... hahaha! That's where i had my first stitches as an adult. Painful!

The rest, as they say, is history.

Soon as I got home, my parents checked on me. I expected they would ask me to stop climbing mountains but I heard otherwise. They even expressed their trust to my friend's abilities instead, and believed that it was purely an accident. They asked a favor though... " TAKE EXTRA PRECAUTION NEXT TIME, JHUN."

I can deal with that! :)


Photo Selection and Captioning by: Heinz Lopez Alvarez, Jr.
Post a Comment